1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OUCH! these vid card prices are insane

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

So Tues. morning my ole AMD HD 7970 OC card I installed in 2013 finally blew up.... it was a final catastrophic failure... complete with the dreaded "Green line screen of doom" created by vga failure.

My RoG motherboard immediately indicated VGA failure with a large red LED that should have been green.....
    So I went on line to find a replacement thinking I would get a highend GTX 1070 to replace it... But going on line I was stunned & horrified by current prices.

An EVGA GTX 1080 TI Hybrid that sold for $850 last October (friend bought one) now sells for $1399.

A GTX 1070 that sold for $550 in 2017 now sells for $840...

Apparently the crypto currency mining craze is buying big powerful vga cards faster than they can produce them... hence the price gouging by all...

I was depressed... but kept looking around...I finally went on Ebay and a new listing posted 5 minutes earlier came up for an Asus GTX 1070 Dual 08G card brand new in retail packaging for $625....
    I of course grabbed that before it vanished.... After receiving the card and verifying its actual model, I am quite pleased to have gotten this card for $625 since on both Newegg and Amazon the cheapest price listed for it is $840. This is the Asus GTX 1070 dual fan OC card. (Model: DUAL-GTX1070-O8G)

I have installed this GTX1070 and I am impressed with it. It runs nearly identical frame rates to my ole 7970 but is running much cooler.

One thing that has me worried.. although I am not sure why I should be worried....is I have only changed the factory fan profile using the included vga monitor so that it goes to 100% fan speed at 65C instead of the factory 90C. Yet during gaming... the GPU is going to 1987mhz.... according to their release spec the OC should be going to 1771mhz.... The temperature never went above 60C so... apparently it is not hurting itself.

If this is how this card is going to perform it is damn impressive....

TheBTron likes this.
  2. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

It has actually been a trend for awhile. At first it was GPU then CPU and now back to GPU's again. The thing which has really kicked it into high gear lately is now the value of these currencies has made it much more economical for new players to get into the picture.

[​IMG]

TheBTron likes this.
  3. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

yes... a whole bunch of folks have jumped in... and most of them will get burned in the end. Some will make a lot of money... like the guy in the dedicated "mining data center" in the pic you posted above. In China their electricity costs about 1/3 the cost here in the USA. Therefore.... they are already at a huge advantage as far as costs to mine.

But for the average person in North America or Europe... probably not a lot of money to be made.

4. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

:) Actually that photo is from an article on an illegal farm setup in the Ukraine (Crypto currency is illegal there to begin with unless issued by the state bank).