1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A predictable outcome....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

This video speaks for itself

:D

2. Sean_353

Sean_353 Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

Gotta love ragdoll physics.

3. Zathrus

yeah... people do not realize how much energy one of those large nylon towing bands can store up... especially in a "snap maneuver" where your allowing the shock of the vehicles rolling mass pass to the tree or other object. Those bands will stretch significantly.

I mean... if it has a tensile strength of say 10,000 psi... and your allowing a 5000 pound vehicle roll against two to 4 of those... there is a lot of energy there.

I remember when those first came out years ago, a farmer was pulling his stuck truck out of a mud field it got stuck in. He had slipped the loop ends over the ball on the back of the truck, and the ball on his tractor... it finally came off the ball on the truck... the nylon band end loop came shooting back toward the tractor hitting the farmer in the head killing him instantly. It was a large truck towing strap... so it stored up a lot of energy.

4. vswake

vswake Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

He basically made a catapult. Always use a chain for anything like that so it self grips, should also be at the bottom or base of the tree not top.

5. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

LOL I don't understand why he back up, and pull, back up and pull. In my mind if you want to pull, you slowly build tension and than pull strong, he wanted to build speed, but that was a bad idea. I don't know how big was the tree initially, but rule of thump i that they have as much root as they have branches. the root system can be crazy resistant. And like wake pointed out, the cable placement is bad. A noob gotta learn.

6. Zathrus

There is a technique that was developed using the large nylon tow straps. Where I have lived they called this the "snap method".

What they discovered, is many times allowing the vehicle to roll slowly on slack until it is tight, causes the stretching to "snap the vehicle out of the hole it is stuck in.".

It is using the elasticity in the nylon bands to help create a "pulse of extreme tension" needed to force the vehicle out. This is easier on the tow vehicle doing the pulling, and many times works better than a slow steady pull...In addition, this maneuver is recommended if the tow vehicle is lighter than the vehicle that is stuck. However I personally do not like the snap method and do not use it. You just never know what might break in a "snap maneuver."

#6 Zathrus, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Dynamite

Sylak likes this.
  8. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

...cause I'm TNT...